Working hours: Flexible (part-time hours considered)
Team: Commercial Lending Recoveries
We are the first nationwide provider of end-to-end debt and property recovery services and we bring a huge wealth of expertise and experience to the market. Setting the standard for debt resolution by achieving what is right and fair while treating everyone we encounter with respect and sensitivity.
As a service business, our culture is based on a core belief in our greatest asset - our people.
We have a great opportunity for a Commercial Recoveries Paralegal to join our team here at Equivo.
The role sits within the Commercial Lending Litigation and Recoveries team which is part of our Litigation Division. The team acts for the firm’s clients in the recovery of debts arising from commercial lending and enforcement of personal guarantees. The team are trained to spot fraud disputes and provide advice to client on how to deal with this type of case from inception to completion, enforcing judgments and/or taking matters to trial where appropriate.
We currently have a requirement for a Commercial Recoveries Paralegal, the role involves conducting litigation, enforcement and insolvency proceedings, dealing with clients, debtors and representatives, courts and agents by telephone, in correspondence and in person. The role includes negotiating appropriate repayment solutions with debtors prior to and as part of the litigation process. In addition the role requires dealing with a variety of more complex, non-standard, issues for insolvency proceedings, money claims, interim applications and guarantor claims.
The role requires that you support more junior colleagues with any queries they may have or guidance they require.
- Processing of pre-legal debt recovery referrals
- Dealing with key stages of litigation and insolvency, prior experience of commercial lending and insolvency is desirable.
- Dealing with cases on a case management system, so prior experience of using Visual Files will be an advantage.
- Be responsible and accountable for your caseload including meeting internal and client SLA requirements
- Support junior colleagues with guidance and advice on their matters, escalating where appropriate
- Recognise any potential issues in cases and refer these appropriately
- Support the Manager in delivery of commercial recovery services to our clients
- Negotiating repayment(s) and/or settlements
- Maintaining integrity of data for own case load
- Ensuring electronic post and emails are correctly catalogued and saved to relevant files on a daily basis
- Assisting with the compilation of client reports
- To achieve and maintain an up to date task list
- Assisting with client billing and collection of unpaid client invoices
- To maintain a professional manner within the office environment, with clients and any other third parties
- To answer and return calls in accordance with the firms policy and client's Service Level Agreements
- Assist the team in achieving financial targets, other KPIs, management information and meeting budgets.
- To complete tasks/activities upon instruction of a Team Leader or other senior member of the team/department
- As part of your role, you will be responsible for supporting and promoting Equivo’s Quality Management System as guided by Senior Management.
Skills and qualifications
- Degree, LPC or CILEX qualification preferred.
- Previous legal experience in Debt Recovery & Insolvency, or previous transferable Paralegal experience within a Law Firm
- Excellent client care skills
- Self-confidence and ability to demonstrate initiative
- Ability to grasp things quickly and easily.
- Enthusiastic with a positive, can do attitude
- Good working knowledge of various applications – word, excel, outlook
- Taking care and attention into all correspondence and documentation
- Ability to deal with difficult telephone conversations with Defendants/Opposing Solicitors confidently and calmly and refer if appropriate
- Flexible with the ability to adapt to change, new practices and remain calm under pressure and find solution
- A methodical and organised approach with keen attention paid to every detail
- Excellent organisational skills are required for this role to ensure that the tasks are effectively scheduled within working time available, and that urgent work is completed and returned within the specified timescales.
- Friendly and helpful approach to dealing with queries
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility with the capability to adapt to change, new practices and cope under pressure but with the ability to recognise when to seek assistance
- Able to integrate within a team and able to work on your own initiative
Equivo is a committed Equal Opportunities employer promoting equality of opportunity. This means that everyone who either applies to or works for the company is treated equally, whatever their gender, age, ethnic origin, nationality, marital status, disability, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.
Due to the nature of the work undertaken, confirmation of employment will be subject to a variety of checks which will be carried out once an offer of employment is accepted. These checks will include employment references covering the last 5 years, proof of ID, proof of address covering the last 5 years, Personnel Vetting credit search (which will only highlight insolvency or County Court Judgments - should any adverse data show on the Personnel Vetting search then any offer of employment made will be withdrawn). Terrorism Check (against data supplied by the Bank of England) and a DBS check previously known as a Criminal Records check.